Friday, October 5, 2007

Hello everyone!

Sorry I haven’t updated the blog recently but I have been moving around quite a bit. Currently I’m in Santiago de Compostela in the Galica region of Spain. I’ll be here for two day before heading back down to Lisboa, Portugal for three of for days. Why back to Lisboa? I’ll talk about that later.

As for where I’ve been…from Salamanca I headed over to Segovia. It is the town where Columbus charmed the crown to finance his journey and is most famous for the Roman Aqueduct that spans an incredible 813 meters reaches 29 meters in height. Also beautiful and remarkable is the Alcazar, a medieval fortress of spiraling towers and pointed turrets.




Next I was off to Leon to visit the Iglesia Catedral De Santa Maria. A beautiful example of 13th-century Gothic architecture and considered my many to be the most beautiful in Spain. In addition to its sites Leon is a lively town with great food and fun people. During the day I spent time roaming the markets and lovely streets.




From Leon it was off to Oviedo, a town alive with art, music, food, and of course sidra (cider) the local drink of choice. You are supposed to be able to tell the quality of the sidrerias by the height they hold the bottle over their head and the how low and tilted the glass when they poor. For me though, it was a town of beautiful streets, magnificent parks, and amazing sunrises.

After Oviedo I headed to Coruna by the sea and enjoyed the salt air, seafood, local color, and good music. Coruna though is much different from the other cities I’d visited; make no mistake, it is a big city, at least in feel and energy. While there are not a lot of historical sites when compared to it neighbors it has a lot to offer a weary international traveler. It is easy to get around, once you figure out your landmarks, it has great shops and very friendly people who are used to the tourist crowd and willing to help. Oh, and it of course has the Torre De Hercules, the worlds oldest working light house that was erected by none other than Hercules.


Well, as I’ve just arrived in this lovely city it now time to head out and explore since I only have a very short time here. As I mentioned I head back down to Lisboa. Why? Too meet up with a group of flickr photographers from all around Portugal and Spain, as well as the UK, Germany, and other countries including the US. It should be a great time and a different view of the city for me.

From there it’s up to Porto and then on a plane to Barcelona where I’ll spend a week at a resort on the beach. I managed to connect with a company that brings in anglos to speak English only with Spaniards that need to refine their English language skills. More on this adventure later.
If you are interested in seeing more photos go here http://www.flickr.com/photos/61117314@N00/sets/72157602281665133/

2 comments:

samanthaphotography said...

this is an awesome blog with beautiful photos! keep going Scott!

Jeanne D said...

Beautiful pix Scott! Looks like you're having a great time. Keep on truckin'!